Caroline's first swimming lesson was supposed to be on Monday, June 23rd at 6:30, well if you've read the prior post, you'll know that we didn't make it to the first lesson due to my poor flight scheduling. She had looked forward to swim lessons since last summer and I promised her I'd take her this summer. She didn't let me forget. This was our thing to do together. She was such a good sport about missing the first lesson, she told me she understood and it was ok (I was more upset about it than she was). She is such a big girl. For only being 7 (almost 8) she is one of the coolest people I know.
The first week of swim lessons she was so timid and scared. Everyday that first week on the way to the lessons with Ms. Kristal (an elder's wife at church who is amazing) she barely said a word. Then after the lesson on the way home, she would talk to me about what she needs to work on and how she should have done this or that.
The second week, it was like taking a different child to the lessons. Driving out there, she talked about everything and it was like talking to a close friend. We talked about Gillian, Harrison and Meredith; we talked about our trip to Ohio and laughed about things. It was just amazing. She is my big girl. I'm so proud of her and what she worked through by herself to do what she did at swim lessons. She jumped off the deep end. Ms. Kristal and I were right there and I could see the fear on her face. I had to turn around a few times b/c I wanted to cry watching her tremble with fear. But I knew that once she did it, it would be ok. She did it and she loved it. She was so brave and I was bursting with pride.
Now when we go swimming, that's all she wants to do is work on her underwater arms and jumping in. She wants so bad for Gillian and Harrison to do it with her. I think part of her wants them to experience the sense of accomplishment that she has. I don't know if that makes any sense or not.
My neices and nephews continue to amaze me and I am in awe of them everytime I see them and can't imagine loving anyone or anything more than I do these precious gifts. It is such an honor to have watched them all grow and I'm so blessed to be a part of their lives.
Here's my Caroline and her beautiful smile after completing her swim lessons on our way home.
I'm SO proud of you baby.
2 comments:
You are such a great aunt!! You get Best Aunt Award!! Any plans for coming to Ohio soon?
I wish you were my aunt WAAY back when I was little! =)
Post a Comment